• Edmonds School District
  • Select a School

College Credit Courses

College Credit Banner

Did you know that you can earn college credit for certain high school classes?

You are expected to make course decisions keeping in mind graduation requirements, your interests, and your educational goals for after high school. College credit options are available in both core academic and career and technical courses in all of our high schools. The following educational opportunities are provided to Edmonds School District students to meet individual academic needs:

Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) - At the freshman and sophomore levels, you may participate in honors courses which will prepare you for more challenging learning opportunities as a junior and senior. Advanced Placement courses follow a set curriculum taught at the college level. Colleges may award college credit based upon successful completion (as determined by the individual college or university) of Advanced Placement (AP) exams. Students enrolled in AP courses have the opportunity to earn an Academic Honors Scholar Diploma. For information on courses and other requirements needed to earn an Academic Honors Scholar diploma, see your counselor.

College in the High School(CHS) is a program which allows students to receive college credit through college-level courses taken at their high school. These courses offer college credit at a significantly reduced tuition rate, and provide students with a college transcript reflecting these courses upon graduation from high school. Check with your high school counselor to find which courses are offered for CHS credit. You should contact the colleges you are interested in to verify that College in the High School credits will be accepted.

AP vs CHS Comparison (pdf)
AP vs CHS Comparison Powerpoint (ppt)

TechPrep (TP) is a partnership between high schools and community colleges to provide high school students the opportunity to earn college credit in addition to high school credit in qualifying Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses provided at their high school. Tech Prep college credits earned in CTE courses can be applied directly to college certificate and technical degree programs. A grade of a "B" or better is required to earn college credit.

For more information about Career and Technical Education programs and courses, refer to the appropriate section in your course catalog or visit www.edmonds.wednet.edu/cte.

Running Start - The Running Start Program in Washington State provides the opportunity for eligible high school juniors and seniors to attend college level classes, tuition free. Students will be responsible for purchasing books and supplies, assessment and technology fees, and transportation.

To be eligible for Running Start, students:

  1. Must be a junior or senior.
    2. Must complete application for the community college.
    3. Pay a fee for the placement test.
    4. Score at a designated level on the placement test.

Upon successful completion of college level courses taken through Running Start, students will earn credit at the college level which will also apply toward high school graduation. If you are interested in the Running Start program, you should see your counselor to review equivalencies for college courses that will fulfill high school requirements.

For more information, please view our Running Start page.

Do you have questions or want to enroll in a program? Please consult with your instructor at the beginning of the course, or see the Counseling Office for more details and application materials.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.
  • Login