Skip To Main Content

Running Start


The Running Start Program in Washington State provides the opportunity for eligible high school juniors and seniors to attend college-level classes, tuition free. Students will be responsible for purchasing books and supplies, assessment and technology fees, and transportation. Upon successful completion of college level courses taken through Running Start, students will earn college credit which will also apply toward high school graduation. If you are interested in the Running Start program:

It is advisable to make an appointment with a counselor at the community college once a student has been accepted to help create the college portion of the educational plan. High school counselors assist in helping students to understand the college equivalents needed in order to complete a high school diploma, but they do not assist students in choosing courses that transfer to colleges and universities or those that will complete an Associate's degree.

START HERE - Watch the Slide presentation and read the FAQ to learn about running start.

MTHS Running Start Slide Presentation

Running Start Frequently Asked Questions

STEP 1 - ATTEND information session at the College you want to attend next year for Running Start

STEP 2 - APPLY to the College

Online Application -

  • Choose "Academic" for Program

  • Choose "Undecided" under "Degree or Certificate I am seeking" 

  • Choose "Running Start" under "I will be enrolling as a..."

You will receive an email from the college with your Student Identification Number. This may take several weeks.

STEP 3 - COMPLETE and submit all paperwork required by both the College and by MTHS

  1. Intent to Enroll
  2. Running Start Agreement with PARENT SIGNATURE
  3. Enrollment Verification Form with PARENT SIGNATURE and COLLEGE ID
    • Counselor will sign it at your meeting (STEP 4)
  4. MTHS WIAA Running Start Agreement for Athletes (If participating in a sport at MTHS)
  5. Review Course Equivalency (If not attending Edmonds College, you will want to discuss equivalent courses with your counselor.  The guide linked here can get you started)
  6. English Placement (College)
  7. Math Placement (College)
  8. New Student Worksheet (Edmonds)
  9. Parent/Guardian Agreement (Edmonds) or Running Start Contract (Cascadia)

Look up the Fall schedule of the college to pick classes.  These documents may be helpful when choosing:

  • Course Equivalency Guide
  • Frequently Enrolled Classes:
    • ENGL& 101 (Junior or Senior Year English)
    • HIST& 146 or 147 or 148 (US History - Junior Year Social Studies)
    • POLS& 202 (Civics - Senior Year Social Studies)
    • MGMT 180 (Personal Finance - Senior Year Required Course)
    • MATH& 141 (Math)

STEP 4 - MEET with your MTHS Counselor


  • Bring your SIGNED Enrollment Verification Form (EVF) and Running Start Agreement to Tamara in the Counseling Office

  • You need to include your COLLEGE ID (CTCLink ID) on the Enrollment Verification Form

  • Tamara will schedule you an appointment with your Counselor AFTER Spring Break

  • Come prepared for the meeting:
    • Know what classes you plan to take Fall Quarter, Winter Quarter, and Spring Quarter
    • At this meeting, your counselor will sign and return your EVF
  • It is then your responsibility to submit the completed EVF to your college

Information Specific to Edmonds College:

Link to EDC Running Start website and all info for students

  • Placement into ENGL 101:    Students with a cumulative GPA  of 2.5 or above are placed into ENGL 101. 
  • Schedule of Classes:  The Schedule of Classes 


If you are currently a Running Start student (meaning you are enrolled in Running Start classes right now), here are some reminders:

  • You will need a Running Start Enrollment Verification Form signed by your counselor prior to the start of every quarter.  If you do not complete the form and submit it to your college, you will be charged for full tuition.  Below are the dates you should be working with your counselor on completing the form.  
    • Fall Quarter - Early June
    • Winter Quarter - November
    • Spring Quarter - February
    • Summer Quarter - May

  • Course Equivalency - It is extremely important that you familiarize yourself with this form.  This is a list of classes that you can take at Edmonds College that count for specific courses at Mountlake Terrace High School.  
    Frequently Enrolled Classes:
    • ENGL& 101 (Junior or Senior Year English)
    • HIST& 146 or 147 or 148 (US History - Junior Year Social Studies)
    • POLS& 202 (Civics - Senior Year Social Studies)
    • MGMT 180 (Personal Finance - Senior Year Required Course)
    • MATH& 141 (Math)

Summer Running Start - Edmonds College

Questions regarding Summer Running Start must be directed to your college.